Lunch is part of the afternoon session, if your child has not stayed for lunch before, we have put together the following information to give you a few ideas:
- The children learn about healthy food and teeth, and we regularly talk to the children about making healthy choices. In order to support children to develop a healthy relationship with food, they can eat their lunch in any order that they want and eat how much they want or need.
- Anything that is not eaten will be left in their lunchbox so you will be able to see what your child has had.
- We encourage parents to provide a healthy balanced lunch for their child.
Packed lunch contents might include:
- Sandwiches, crackers, pasta, rice or noodles (we are not able to heat food for children’s lunch).
- Fruit (e.g. strawberries, blueberries or grapes) and vegetables (e.g. carrot sticks, cucumber, tomatoes).
- Yoghurts, cheese, sausages, hummus.
- All grapes, tomatoes and sausages should be sliced long ways to reduce the risk of choking.
- Lunch boxes with lots of treats in, may result in a child only choosing to eat the cake, crisps and biscuits.
Packed lunches MUST NOT contain:
- Fizzy drinks or cans.
- Sweets inc. chocolate bars.
- NUTS of any kind including Peanut butter, Chocolate/hazelnut spread as a sandwich filling (Allergy risk).
- Please can you put an ice pack in the lunch bag to keep food cool.
- Please make sure that your child’s name is clearly marked on their lunch box and drink bottle. Water will be available.
For many of the children, eating lunch at pre-school is the first time they have eaten away from parents/carers, we try to make it as trouble free as possible and an enjoyable experience for the children.